Crowdsourcing: GRAPHIC NOVELS! Edition

Here’s the scoop: Despite the fact that I am sort of a cartoonist and “into” graphic art, I am, sadly, not totally on the up-and-up when it comes to comics and graphic novels! So, I need recommendations from you fine folks for a project that I will be starting on rather soon. I am mostly looking for autobiographical comic/graphic novels, comics/graphic novels having to do with illness or disability, race, and/or gender and sexuality (I prefer non-fiction for these categories),  and comics/graphic novels that cover awkward situations in childhood, adolescence, or young adulthood (fictional or not).  Also, how-to books (such as Eisner’s Comics and Sequential Art, which I already own and have dog-earred to infinity) are also welcome as suggestions, as I will definitely need inspiration for writing a long-form graphic piece.

Here’s a list of stuff I already have that is in one or more of the above categories: One! Hundred! Demons! (Barry, 2002); Fun Home (Bechdel, 2006); Funny Misshapen Body (Brown, 2002); The Spiral Cage (Davison, 1992); Cancer Made Me a Shallower Person (Engelberg, 2008); Jokes and the Unconscious (Gottleib and DiMassa, 2006) Stitches (Small, 2009), American Born Chinese (Yang, 2006) [thank you Anna for reminding me of this one!].

PLEASE, SUGGEST AWAY!

About these ads
Tagged , , ,

10 thoughts on “Crowdsourcing: GRAPHIC NOVELS! Edition

1. Dorian says:

I recently read Skim, by Mariko and Jillian Tamaki. I was quite impressed, and I suspet it fits into several of these categories! It is fictional, but it deals with awkward adolescence, sexuality, and race.

2. Michelle says:

Bayou is on Zuda comics, and it’s really good – the protagonist is a young black girl in the south, in I think the early 1900s. (I’m reading the books as they come out and we only have volume #1 right now, which I last read around Christmas, so I’m a bit fuzzy). I know you said non fiction, but I thought I’d throw that out there!

Making Comics by Scott McCloud is AWESOME. Highly recommend it. I’ve heard good stuff about How to Make Webcomics but have not read it myself.

3. notemily says:

Some titles: Persepolis, Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder, Stuck in the Middle: 17 Comics from an Unpleasant Age, The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag (series), Blankets.

4. old lady says:

PERSEPOLIS is quite wobderful but so is FUN HOME by Alison Bechdel. And what about MAUS? Not to be missed.

5. old lady says:

Check typos! PERSEPOLIS is WONDERFUL is what it should say,of course. And MAUS won a Pulitzer but don’t hold that against it.

6. ninjanurse says:

I’m a big fan of Harvey Pekar’s ‘American Splendor’. Also Aline Kominsky’s ‘Nose Job’. You can tell I’m from the older generation.

7. ninjanurse says:

Here is a link to more on how Aline Kominsky’s vulgar comix may save lives–

8. konkonsn says:

There’s With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child by Keiko Tobe.
    Also, Death: The Time of Your Life by Neil Gaiman is specifically about a lesbian couple, though it’s better to read the Sandman series first to get more context.

Are you willing to read some pop manga? Otomen by Aya Kanno doesn’t handle gay males well and still relies on a gender binary, but it’s heartwarming because often the feminine or masculine characters will say, “Screw being more of a traditional boy or girl; I love you for who you are!”

9. Penny says:

Hereville by Barry Deutsch isn’t out yet, but it sounds like it might fit one of your areas of interest:

10. Eleanor says:

I might be too late, but this is great: